Saturday 15 January 2011

Susannah York R.I.P.


Susannah York’s death, earlier today, has shocked me. It seems she had been suffering from cancer for some time; the obituaries say she was over 70, but I have a mental picture of her as someone eternally young and beautiful, as well as gifted.

Much of her most famous work was done in the 60s. One of her best films was They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? Based on superb short crime novel by Horace McCoy, it is an unforgettable classic. If you haven’t seen it, do give it a go. She was also excellent in The Killing of Sister George. The Battle of Britain was another film in which I enjoyed seeing her.

It’s said that she found it very difficult to find suitable roles in the last twenty years or so. And there is a surprising and disappointing shortage of stories or screenplays written in which women of over 50 are the main protagonists. Not easy to understand. Why do heroines so often need to be young, or youngish? There are some crime novels that fit the bill (not counting the Marples!), but there is surely scope for more. Maybe one day, if I think I’m able to do it well enough, I’ll write one myself. Meanwhile, it's a time to pay tribute to a fine actor, who will be missed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - Thanks for this reminder of a fine actor. I am truly sorry to hear of her death, too. Besides the films you mentioned, I remember liking her in A Man For All Seasons, too. She will, indeed, be missed.

Deb said...

Martin, you said--

And there is a surprising and disappointing shortage of stories or screenplays written in which women of over 50 are the main protagonists.

--I think you're being generous; there's a disappointing shortage or stories or screenplays (particularly the latter) featuring women over 25!

As Goldie Hawn said in "The First Wives Club": "There are three ages for women in Hollywood: Babe, District Attorney, and Miss Daisy." Sad but on the whole true.

Martin Edwards said...

Margot, of course, how could I forget that one??!!

Martin Edwards said...

Deb, I may not be aware of some good ones, but I certainly agree and I do find it far from easy to figure out.

Nan said...

It is very sad news about Susannah York; as is the way the culture seems to worship youth. I so hate to see both older men and women color their hair or get rid of wrinkles, both movie stars and people in real life.