Friday 19 September 2008

The Bourne Ultimatum

I’ve posted previously about my thoughts on the first two films in the series (based on the work of thriller writer Robert Ludlum) about Jason Bourne, the amnesiac CIA man played by Matt Damon. Now I’ve watched the latest entry – The Bourne Ultimatum.

The mixture is pretty much as before – Bourne is a totally focused and highly accomplished killer, who is determined to find out who he is, and who his real enemies are. Meanwhile, within the CIA, a battle rages between those who want Bourne dead, and those who don’t. Suffice to say that there’s plenty of collateral damage – including a journalist from The Guardian!

I enjoyed this film, as I did its predecessors. The Bourne movies are slickly written and produced, and seize your attention from start to finish. Robert Ludlum was no Ian McEwan, but if an intellectually undemanding, but briskly entertaining thriller is your cup of tea, the Bourne pictures are well worth watching.

Will the series ever be reBourne? I’d be happy to see it continue a little longer, and I gather that another movie is planned.

1 comment:

Sarah Hilary said...

Did you catch the Harry Enfield skit on the movie? A delightful 1930s version!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QcG-zBQErDo&feature=related